Benefits of Collagen for Skin and Hair
Collagen is most commonly found in the skin, bones and connective tissue within the body.
1. Skin and Hair As we age, collagen production declines â€” itâ€™s happening as you read this! Youâ€™ll see notice it physically: looser skin, more wrinkles and less elasticity. Increasing collagen levels can help your skin look firmer, increase smoothness, and help your skin cells keep renewing and repairing normally.
2. Joints Have you ever felt like youâ€™ve got skeleton legs? Yup, thatâ€™s a loss of collagen rearing its head. Thatâ€™s because when we lose collagen, our tendons and ligaments start moving with less ease, leading to stiffness, swollen joints and more. Think of ingesting more collagen like greasing a creaky door hinge: Itâ€™ll help your joints move more easily, reduce joint pain and even reduce the risk of joint deterioration. A recent study even found that collagen is an effective treatment for treating osteoarthritis and other joint disorders.
3. Leaky Gut If you suffer from leaky gut syndrome, a condition where bad-for-you toxins are able to pass through your digestive tract, collagen can be super-helpful. Itâ€™ll help break down proteins and soothe your gutâ€™s lining, healing damaged cell walls and infusing it with healing amino acids. It will also help absorb water, keeping things moving freely in the digestive tract.
4. Boosts Metabolism & Energy A boost in collagen can increase your metabolism. Gylcine, found in it, helps pump sugar into your bodyâ€™s tissue to increase energy levels. It also helps in muscle development â€” and muscles burn more calories than fat. Combine any supplementation with vitamin C to ensure your body can convert the collagen into a useable protein that can begin to restore the source or your energy and vitality.
5. Strengthens Nails & Teeth Ever had peeling and splitting nails? Well, a lack of collagen could be to blame. Collagen protein is also the building block of your fingernails and teeth as well! Adding it into your diet regimen can help keep your nails strong and your teeth healthy!
6. Detox If youâ€™re looking to detox, collagen is extremely helpful. Thatâ€™s because glycine helps minimize damage your liver experiences when it absorbs foreign substances that shouldnâ€™t be passing through it. One of the easiest ways to cleanse your liver is with a bone broth fast; I often recommend a three-day bone broth detox to rapidly repair leaky gut. Itâ€™ll help rid your body of chemicals and â€śresetâ€ť your gut. Collagen can help reduce cellulite and prevent stretch marks
7. Reduce Cellulite/Stress Marks When skin loses its elasticity as a result of decreased collagen, thereâ€™s another side effect: more visible cellulite! Because your skin is now thinner, cellulite becomes more evident â€” no more hiding whatâ€™s happening below the surface. Improving your skinâ€™s elasticity through collagen will help reduce that dimpling on your skin. Cellulite is typically due to a lack of collagen in the dermal layer, which normally â€śholds the fat in placeâ€ť. Essentially, the combination of too much fat and too little collagen is the recipe for cellulite. In a 2015 study of 105 middle aged women, it was discovered that supplementing with hydrolyzed collagen lead to an improvement in skin waviness on the thighs and to a general improvement in skin appearance in women suffering from moderate cellulite. If you want to reduce that annoying dimpling, then a hydrolyzed collagen supplement is a must!
Other supplements and therapies can also help, but as usual itâ€™s best to treat this condition from within using proper nutrition to restore your healthy collagen. Collagen is an important part of healthy hair growth. There are three things needed for healthy hair to grow: keratin, minerals and collagen! Many of the amino acids needed to make keratin are also found in hydrolyzed collagen. One of these amino acids is Lysine, which has also been found to reduce 5-alpha reductase, a major factor in male pattern baldness. This explains why there are so many people see improvements in their hair quality and luster by taking collagen supplements.